In Chapter 3, the ghosts of New Years Eves past come to haunt us. The host of characters include Jennifer Lopez, Judy Tenuta, a New York Agent, a British/Australian woman and a rando cowboy! Now let the story begin!
Momma D’s Black Eyed Peas & Greens
1 bag of Black Eyed Peas (I used dried peas)1-2 Jalapenos (deseeded)
1 White Onion
4-7 Cloves of Garlic (to taste)
.75 Lbs. Bacon (thickly cut)
3 Tsp. Salt
1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary
1 Bunch Swiss Chard
1) Put dried peas in a medium sized mixing bowl. Cover with water and let soak over night or for several hours.
2) Dice the onions (thickly), deseed and dice the jalapeno(s), peel your garlic and crush it well.
3) Cut your bacon into bite sized chunks and put in the pan. You want your bacon to be more seared than fully cooked at this point to lock in some of the flavor.
4) Once it’s slightly browned, place the bacon pieces on a plate with a napkin underneath to soak up some of the grease.
5) Place your onions, jalapenos and garlic in the pan to soften and slightly brown them.
6) Once they seem fairly soft re-add the bacon and toss around a couple of times.
7) Drain and add the black eyed peas to your pan.
8) Add water to just below the peas. Bring to boil, then simmer for 45 minutes covered.
9) Add your salt and rosemary and mix in.
10) Wash Swiss Chard, then dry with napkins. Cut off the stems and cut the Swiss Chard loosely.
11) Once the peas are cooked thoroughly, add the Swiss Chard. Don’t mix it in, cover it and let it steam on top of the peas for 5 minutes. Then turn off the heat and let it stand for 5 more minutes covered.